The images and video from television programs and films that appear on tvcrit.org are used for critical, teaching, and scholarship purposes. It is our understanding of Section 107 “Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use” of U.S. copyright law that these purposes constitute “fair use” of copyrighted material.
We believe that our use of media images and video passes the “Four Factor Fair Use Test” that encapsulates the main provisions of Section 107. Moreover, we believe that the arguments made in favor of fair use in Kristin Thompson’s “Fair Usage Publication of Film Stills” and the Society for Cinema and Media Studies’ “Best Practices For Fair Use in Teaching” should also apply here.
However, we do not wish to infringe upon any copyrights. If you are a copyright holder and you believe our use of an image or video infringes upon your copyright, please notify us and we will immediately remove that image or video from tvcrit.org.
Process for Notification of Claimed Infringement
As per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (512(c)(3)(A)(i-vi)):
- A notification of claimed infringement must be a written communication provided to the designated agent of a service provider that includes substantially the following:
- (i) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- (ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
- (iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.
- (iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted
- (v) A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- (vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
For purposes of notification, the designated agent is:
Journalism & Creative Media Department
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487